Oct 2, 2012, 7:23 PM EST
Meet Lombard, Ill., Deputy Police Chief Patrick Rollins the man who cost the U.S. the Ryder Cup.
Well actually, Tiger Woods and friends and a little something to do with that as well. And Rollins was just doing his job. But he did gave Rory McIlroy a police escort to the Medinah Golf Course on Sunday, getting the Irishman there with just minutes to spare so that he wouldn’t miss his Ryder Cup tee time.
That save the European team, which beat the U.S. by one point for the title.
It all started at the hotel where McIlroy was staying. Realizing the golfer wasn’t where he was supposed to be, Rollins had someone find him, and with less than 30 minutes to make his tee time, offered him a police escort to the course. McIlroy hopped in the police car and the two took off.
“I just wanted to make sure if I was maneuvering around, I just wanted to make sure he was gonna be OK with it,” Rollins said. “I asked him, ‘Do you get motion sickness?’”
“I said no, no, no, I don’t care if I’m sick, just get me to that first tee,” McIlroy said.
So off they went, down Butterfield Road, onto Interstate 355. Then it was onto Medinah Road, and up the special players’ driveway to the clubhouse. McIlroy sprinted into the clubhouse with barely 11 minutes to spare.
Rollins said he got plenty of ribbing from colleagues who wondered why he couldn’t have “accidentally” driven him to the wrong course.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found