Sep 27, 2012, 2:30 PM EST
Of course any former pro athlete willing to go out on the campaign trail with Romney at this point may have received this honor. Gerry Cooney, Tito Fuentes, Sonny Jurgensen … doesn’t matter. But it was Nicklaus who received the highest grade possible from the Republican Presidential candidate, who was stumping with Nicklaus in Ohio today. Here’s Romney’s quote:
“But what you heard from the Golden Bear, what you heard from the greatest athlete of the 20th century, the words that he spoke, have touched my heart. And I’m sure they have touched your hearts as well.”
One might make the case that Nicklaus is the greatest golfer of 20th century, but greatest athlete? It fits with Romney’s perspective, however. Of course he’d disregard Muhammad Ali, Joe Montana, Willie Mays, Babe Ruth, Michael Jordan and Wayne Gretzky … and choose someone who played primarily at country clubs.
GQ Magazine guesses Romney’s other favorite athletes.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found