Sep 26, 2012, 12:11 PM EDT
As you know, everyone with access to an open mic has to have an opinion on the NFL replacement refs … it’s the law. Rush Limbaugh is no different. Mr. Warmth (apologies to Don Rickles) opened his Good Time Radio Hayride Jamboree on Tuesday with an opinion on the current state of the NFL, and it’s probably the most Rush Limbaugh thing ever.
“Folks, I’m gonna tell you, the NFL has never been better. You don’t know how much I love saying that. Really, these games, if this kept up, you’d have ratings skyrocketing through the roof. The unpredictability of these games would cause people that are not even football fans to watch just to listen to the sportscasters go bananas over the referees.”
He probably has a point there.
But Rush didn’t pay for this house by devoting his show to sports commentary. He did it by pandering to the angrier segments of the far right wing of the human race. And so, he clumsily segued into:
“And I got to thinking about it, what’s everybody mad about? The referees are incompetent. Well, as I said yesterday, doesn’t Obama say give everybody a fair shot? Doesn’t Obama say we must be tolerant? Doesn’t Obama, and the left in general, don’t they promote the advancement of the incompetent based on the fact that they’re incompetent?”
Well, actually, no. The left is generally in favor of labor unions and collective bargaining, represented by the original refs. It’s the right that would be on the side of management — in this case the billionaire NFL owners who brought in scab workers. But forget that, he’s rolling.
“Screw standards in testing. We don’t need to go find the best. That’s unfair, in fact. If somebody’s better than somebody else, we’re gonna penalize ‘em. Outcome based education. Remember that? Two plus two is five. It is, if you think so, rather than humiliate you and tell you you’re wrong.”
Yes, because the rich are “better” than you and me. Onward:
“My point here is that what’s happening in this NFL season and that game last night I believe suffices as a microcosm for what certain people, fans, we conservatives are fans of conservatives, conservatism, we’re cheated against every day, we’re lied about every day. The media gets it wrong on purpose against us every day. Now, I think it’s a good analogy. I just raise it to make a point. I’m not suggesting anything change because of it. For all of you people who are livid over this, what’s happening in the NFL, the integrity of the game. Well, how about the integrity of the presidential election?”
After checking my Limbaugh-to-English translation app, I believe what he’s saying is that the final play of the Monday Night Football game was all Obama’s fault. I suspected as much! Carry on.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement