Sep 23, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
While most NFL players are driving around in BMW’s, Mercedes and Ford Trucks, Redskins starting running back Alfred Morris is riding in a rather unique whip.
Morris owns and drives a 1991 Mazda 626 sedan that he bought when he was in college at Florida Atlantic. Even though, Morris signed a $2.2 million dollar deal with Washington in the off-season, he isn’t getting rid of the Mazda anytime soon:
“It has some sentimental value to it now,” Morris said Wednesday. “It just keeps me grounded, where I came from and all the hard work for me to get to this point. So that’s what helps me.”
When Morris first got the car, he had to learn how to drive it since the car was a stick shift. He also had some very interesting experiences taking the Mazda out on long road trips:
“It was rough,” Morris recalled. “I put my emergency lights on, and people would be driving behind me, and I’d be like, ‘My emergency lights are on — stop following me.’
“I’d be stalling at lights and stuff and just sitting there trying to get it started back up, and I’d be like, ‘I have emergency lights on. Why would you get behind me? You see the lights — go around.”
I assume that most of you are now asking the $100,000 question, “How did the car get the name, Bentley?”. Well, Alfred’s friends are the reason why the car received that monicker:
“My friends, when I first got it — it was kind of an eyesore,” said Morris, who then added that “beauty is in the eye of the beholder.”
“But my friends just teased me like, ‘Man, what are you doing in that piece of crap?’ and I’d say, ‘Oh, you talkin’ ’bout that Bentley right there?’” Morris said. “The name just stuck, and eventually all my friends would be like, ‘Hey let me get a ride in the Bentley!’”
Here is an image of Morris unique ride in the Redskins parking lot:
Alfred Morris won’t give up his Bentley [Redskins Blog]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Highlights: Burkman shocks Fitch
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Gronk has successful surgery
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'