Anti-doping agents show up at Florida mountain bike race demanding urine tests … confusion ensues, cops are called
Sep 11, 2012, 2:33 PM EDT
So you think that doping controversy only occurs at the Tour de France or other high-profile cycling races? Silly reader. We take you now to the 2012-13 Florida State Championship Series this past weekend in Tallahassee, which is a mountain bike race. Yep, big tires, rocks, occasional racoons and deer on the course.
All was going smoothly until three members of the United States Anti-Doping Administration showed up, flashed their IDs and demanded to test some of the riders. The race promoter thought this highly irregular and refused to cooperate. An argument ensued, and someone called the cops. Yes they did.
In the police report (found here), the responding officer said that he wasn’t familiar with the exact rules and procedures involving a cycling urinalysis test, and really why should he be? So he ordered all testing stopped and someone called the USADA office. An administrator told the doping agents to pack up and leave and the agency would review the case at a later time.
The most interesting part of the police report is that while the cop was there, one of the riders approached the agents and volunteered to take a urine test. The policeman said sure, it was OK with him. But after the USADA director called the whole thing off, the rider’s test was declared “null and void.”
Just another day in the world of competitive cycling, which of course should be universally banned.
And now for no particular reason other than I just thought that he could fix all this, here’s Bicycle Repairman:
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Play Video: Sagan wins Stage 8 of Tour of California
- Play Video: Craig Adams lays out Spezza in OT
- Play Video: Highlights: Senators win double overtime thriller
- Play Video: Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes, Orb finishes fourth
- Play Video: Boychuk gives Bruins lead in Game 2
- Play Video: van Garderen wins Tour of California