Sep 7, 2012, 5:44 PM EDT
Brazil’s Yohansson Nascimento looked like he got off to a good start in the men’s Paralympic Games 100 meter finals, but he soon broke down with a leg injury which seemed pretty severe. Nascimento hadn’t come all that way, however — both geographically and emotionally — to not finish the race. So despite being in obvious pain, he hobbled the rest of the way to the finish line, then collapsed in tears just on the other side.
He finished last, of course — but the key word here is finished.
Nascimento finished in 1 minute, 30.79 seconds, while Xu Zhao of China won the T46 race in 11.05 seconds.
It evoked memories of one of the most emotional moments of the 2012 Olympics when China’s Liu Xiang crashed into the hurdles and ultimately hopped on one leg to the finish line.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found