Sep 7, 2012, 10:04 AM EDT
Morning Mail for Friday … As you may know, two Boston University hockey players were charged with sexual assault earlier this year — with former BU player Corey Trivino pleading guilty in August to assaulting a woman at his dorm in 2011. What’s going on with BU hockey?
That’s what the university wanted to know, and so a task force was formed and an investigation launched — the findings of which have just been completed. Much of the information has been kept from public view, but the Boston Globe got some of the details, and they;re pretty incredible.
In the documents, which were obtained by the Boston Globe on Thursday, were tales of a late-night 2009 NCAA championship party at Agganis Arena where dozens of guests drank from kegs in the locker room showers and took to the ice naked to shoot pucks.
“It was insane,” one former student who attended told the BU task force. “People were having sex in the penalty box.”
The subcommittee documents make clear that at least some BU hockey players, surrounded by adoring fans, had “the perception that they need not seek consent for sexual contact.”
One player came close to admitting that. “You don’t ask [permission for sex] when you are drunk,” he told the task force, adding that he did not see how the actions of the two players charged last year constituted sexual assault.
The panel also found that hockey players were able to skip classes for no reason, and that players’ SAT scores were “far below the vast majority of their classmates.”
Coach Jack Parker, who said that he had been unaware of the 2009 party, has been stripped of his associate athletic director title, but is still the head coach.
ABOUT LAST NIGHT
Is that a Chihuahua in your pants, or are you just glad to see me? …
- Behold, the Aaron Rodgers mustache! (Settle down, ladies. And you too, sir).
- Canadian youth hockey coach charged with assault for tripping player.
- U.S. companies may lose up to $6.5 billion this year due to fantasy football. Or more if you draft a kicker with your second pick.
Meanwhile, on The Dr. Erika Show …
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Highlights: Burkman shocks Fitch
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Burkman and Fitch speak after shocker