Sep 2, 2012, 11:40 AM EDT
As most of the nation was probably asleep or partying, the fourth-ranked Oklahoma Sooners squeaked by the UTEP Miners to win their first game of the 2012 college football season.
During the third quarter of play, Fox Sports commentators had an interesting discussion when they saw a shot of a UTEP fullback being treated for cramps on the sidelines and noted that there were two mustard bottles placed on top of a training cabinet.
Here’s the recap of the moment from the Neutral Zone’s Katie Dzwierzynski:
The commentators tonight seemed fascinated by this practice. Unfortunately for UTEP, a lot of players cramped up. How many? Enough that they needed a SECOND bottle of mustard, because they used up the first one. This prompted the questions of “was bring an extra jar of mustard a key to the game?” and “are they rubbing the mustard on or are they eating the mustard?”
After doing some research, it appears that mustard is actually good for treating cramps because of the acetic acid in it:
Cramps can be caused by a deficiency in acetylcholine, the neurotransmitter that stimulates muscles to work. Mustard contains acetic acid, which helps the body produce more acetylcholine. (The mustard is consumed, not applied topically.)
There are also plenty of other interesting uses for mustard that include being used as sore throat relief, a chest decongestant, and even as hair conditioner.
UTEP shows us mustard can be used for cramps [Neutral Zone]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million