Aug 30, 2012, 9:00 AM EST
Morning Mail for Thursday … they don’t keep exact records on such things, but Florida sports historians believe that South Plantation High’s Erin DiMeglio is the first girl quarterback in the history of high school football in the state.
The 17-year-old senior is just the backup, but got into the team’s first game on Friday for several plays, completing two passes. According to the Sun Sentinel, 523 girls have played high school football in Florida since 1973 — 36 last year. But no one can remember one of those being a quarterback.
The reaction from the boys after her first game?
“I couldn’t take the smile off my face,” Erin DiMeglio said. “You’d think the other team would want to know why I’m there, but other players have been great. After the game, they shook my hand and said it was great I was playing football.”
Her own teammates say that being a girl gives them extra motivation to keep her safe.
“I see her as like my sister, and you don’t want anyone to hurt your little sister. During the game we were yelling to the other team ‘Stay away from my girlfriend.’ “
ABOUT LAST NIGHT
What you missed while joining a search arty to look for yourself …
- Andy Murray on reporters asking him about the pictures of naked Prince Harry: “Did I see the pictures of Prince Harry? I said, ‘No comment.’ And then they asked what I thought of the crown jewels. I didn’t comment on that, either.”
- Marco Scutaro broke the Minute Maid Park scoreboard with a double.
Meanwhile, at karaoke night …
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found