Aug 29, 2012, 10:02 AM EDT
You’ve heard of soccer moms … now we have mountain dads? Yet another parent has climbed an insanely tall mountain with their young son in tow, as nine-year-old Kip Van Horn reached the summit of Mt. Shasta in Northern California a couple of weeks back — at 14,162 feet it’s the second-highest peak in the Cascades mountain range.
You may recall our previous posts about young Jordan Romero, who climbed two of the world’s tallest mountains at age 10, summited Mt. Everest at 13 scaled the highest peaks on all seven continents by age 15.
That’s the trouble with climbing Mount Everest at 13: where do yo go from there? Talk about peaking when you’re a teenager …
It was Kip’s fifth attempt mountaineering on the Avalanche Gulch Route and fourth time sleeping overnight at 10,400-foot base camp Lake Helen since he was 6 years old. The level of difficulty is considered a Class 3 and is very strenuous due to distance (11 miles) and elevation gain (7,262) feet.
Thus resumes the age-old debate: how much is too much for young children? This story takes the term helicopter parent to an entire new level — one which cannot even be reached by actual helicopters.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Will bobsled for food
- Play Video: Highlights: Burkman shocks Fitch
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Does 'Hard Knocks' make sense for Bengals?