Aug 27, 2012, 11:14 AM EDT
It’s the song they love to sing at Fenway Park, and at Davidson basketball games … and of course at Penn State football games. But that latter tradition is going by the wayside, it seems, as Penn State has announced it will no longer include the Neil Diamond song Sweet Caroline on its play list during football games.
From the Altoona Mirror:
The non-band-related music will feature mostly what has been part of the mix inside the stadium the past few years. And while the Boston Red Sox, Pitt football and others have elevated “Sweet Caroline” to a staple for their games, that popular PSU tradition may be interrupted or discontinued.
Some concerns by university officials about its lyrics – “touching you touching me” – and the perception of people singing along to them in light of the recent scandal have been expressed.
A final decision will be made this week.
(Editor’s note: The Mirror has now received confirmation that “Sweet Caroline” will not be included in the musical play list for Penn State games this season.)
Actually the lyrics are:
Where it began
I can’t begin to knowing
But then I know it’s growing strong
Was in the spring
And spring became a summer
Who’d believe you’d come along
Touching you …
Diamond has said that the song was inspired by a photo he saw of Caroline Kennedy, taken when she was 11 years old. At any rate, Penn State is being ultra sensitive to such things these days in wake of the Jerry Sandusky child abuse scandal, as one might expect they would. In 2011 there was an issue with the band including the Gary Glitter song Rock and Roll Part 2 on its playlist (Glitter spent time in prison for possession of child porn).
Two university officials denied Monday that had anything to do with the lyrics.
“Absolutely no song changes were made based on lyrics,” spokesman David La Torre said. “The song has come up on the list in recent years because it happens to be played in so many other professional and collegiate venues and has no real origination here at Penn State.”
Good news, though, Penn State fans: apparently, in-game singing of Livin’ on a Prayer is in no particular danger at this time.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery