Aug 24, 2012, 12:06 PM EDT
Remember a while back when we showed you a $60 million high school football stadium? Think was impressive? Now witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational $750,000 high school football stadium Jumbotron.
It’s going up in Texas, of course — at Carthage High School (southeast of Dallas, near the Louisiana border). Vital statistics:
Scoreboard: 26 feet high, 44 feet wide.
Screen: 1,200 square feet.
“It is the biggest screen in the world in high schools,” said Carthage ISD Athletic Director Scott Surratt.
Although not the biggest scoreboard. Heaven knows where that is.
According to the Longview, Texas News-Journal, public reaction has been mixed. One resident, Dennis English, says “It is just a lot of extra money that does not need to be spent. It ain’t about the kids; it’s about pleasing the adults.”
Funding for the scoreboard was approved by Carthage Independent School District voters through a bond election. The scoreboard was actually built in 2008, with room provided then for a giant Jumbotron.
In defending the nation’s biggest high school wide screen TV, Carthage administrators say it will attract students to the school’s broadcast journalism program (Carthage has its own leased cable channel). Fun fact: it takes eight people just to run the scoreboard/Jumbotron during games.
It will also generate advertising revenue: businesses have committed $35,000 this year to be featured on the big screen, says the school.
Carthage won state section 3A/Division 2 football titles in 2008, ’09 and ’10.
Photo courtesy Carthage ISD.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games