Aug 24, 2012, 9:00 AM EST
Friday’s Morning Mail: Hail to the Victor.
That would be Cooper Barton, 5, whose love of Michigan football caused big controversy at his school in Oklahoma City. Now after his principal banned Cooper from wearing a Michigan “Big House” t-shirt at school, the university has reached out to support the young Wolverines fan in a big way.
Eevn though he lives hundreds of miles away, 5-year-old Cooper is a big man on campus in Ann Arbor: Michigan students rallied to his defense, and university athletic director David Brandon invited Cooper and his family to a football game vs. UMass on Sept. 15 at the Big House.
As you may recall, Cooper was told he couldn’t wear his Michigan shirt at school, per school district policy. His principal made him turn the shirt inside out for the remainder of the school day.
So Michigan AD Brandon awarded Cooper with a shirt that reads ‘Michigan’ on both sides, inside and out. He also said that Cooper would be introduced at halftime on Sept. 15. Detroit Free Press:
“The outpouring of support from U-M is amazing,” Chris Barton told the Free Press today. “Shannon grew up in Michigan, Traverse City, and her brother-in-law lives outside Detroit and is a season ticket holder.”
Barton said the family was initially irritated at the school’s decision — Cooper’s older brother Nathan had worn U-M shirts without incident — but the result has been “amazing.”
Asked if Cooper might end up attending Michigan University, Mrs. Barton said: “I don’t think he has a choice.”
The OKC school district policy forbids sports-themed apparel, except for University of Oklahoma and Oklahoma State clothing. The district says it is reviewing the policy.
ABOUT LAST NIGHT
What you missed while staying home due to the white power rally …
- Headline of the Day: Seven-Year-Old Wins Iceland Ram Groping Contest.
- Fark.com headline: Lance Armstrong’s time in France rubs off as he surrenders to U.S. Anti-Doping Agency.
- What some NBA legends would look like with tattoos.
Meanwhile, above the mountains …
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found