Aug 23, 2012, 6:46 PM EST
In his secret fantasies, Michael Phelps would trade all of his gold medals for trophies filled with fish.
Here’s what happens when PR people have free reign to green light every crazy promotional idea they come up with: you get four-time NASCAR Sprint Series champion Jeff Gordon officiating a race between two bottlenose dolphins. It happened at the Georgia Aquarium where two dolphins named Jimmie and Dale (naturally) had a race across the pool, with the finish too close to call. So Gordon let the crowd decide (always a fair method), and Jimmie was declared the winner. Dale’s is attempting to overturn the ruling on appeal.
Jimmie the dolphin received a gleaming trophy filled with tasty fish, and said in clicks and whistles, “Next time don’t worry so much about the trophy.”
The whole thing was to help promote the the AdvoCare 500 on Sept. 2 at the nearby Atlanta Motor Speedway. A win would tie Gordon with Bobby Labonte for the most series wins (six) at AMS among active drivers. And it would be very funny if someone put a fish in his trophy if he wins.
Of course if dolphins had a favorite sport I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t be NASCAR, which depends a lot on the oil industry, which tends to make oil spills in their habitat from time to time. I see dolphins as more into water polo.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found