Aug 23, 2012, 11:31 AM EDT
If there’s one question I’m most often asked, it’s this: “How come you can’t get Lolo Jones, Kim Kardashian and Snookie into the same post?” That’s little enough to ask, I agree. So here you go.
Jones wants it to be known that she’s not in it for the fame. She’s not angling for a reality show, or her own perfume. All the media attention she’s been getting is not her doing, she says. And below comes the part where she lowers the boom on Kardashian and Snookie, which is always a good thing.
Jones’ teammates Dawn Harper and Kellie Wells, who took silver and bronze medals, respectively, in the 100 meter hurdles, were critical of Jones in an interview with NBC’s Michelle Beadle during the Olympics, saying that they were resentful of all the publicity she was getting.
Jones, in an interview with KCCI in Des Moines, said that wasn’t fair.
“I’m not running track to be the most famous person. If I wanted to do that I would totally do a Kim Kardashian or Snookie. I’d do a sex tape or something like that if I wanted fame. I’m running track to get a medal so if I had that medal that would make me content.”
In other words, haters, talk to the hand. Jones, on being ripped by her teammates:
“Yeah, that was kind of a shocker. I didn’t see that one coming at all. I kind of understand their frustration I guess because they feel like they don’t have media or photo shoots or any of that off the track stuff that they might want. But from my end of it if I had a medal, that’s all I would need.”
I recall from my coaching days another coach actually berating me because my basketball team was in a weaker tournament bracket than his. Yeah, dude, it was all part of my plan for world domination, and you were the first person to unravel my evil scheme! He just kind of looked at me dumfounded when I told him that — like that expression your dog gets when you put him on the phone.
In other words, don’t hate me because my bracket is pretty. I had no control over that. And Jones has little control over what the media writes and says about her. She’d trade it all for a medal, as she said.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead