Aug 14, 2012, 1:12 PM EDT
More football news from Texas — this time from the community of Mesquite, located about 12 miles east of Dallas. That’s where 12-year-old Elijah Earnheart was told during a league weigh-in that he was too big to play for the Mesquite Vikings, a Pee Wee Football Association league for youngsters ages 4 to 12.
Wait, I thought they did everything bigger in Texas? Apparently not.
Earnhart is 6-foot-1 and weighs about 290 pounds, which is way over the limit of 135 pounds set by the league.
For the past three weeks he’s been practicing with the Mesquite Vikings, a Mesquite Pee Wee Football Association team. But on Sunday at a pre-season weigh-in he was told he’s too big and can’t suit up.
The president of the league said the rule is any seventh grader over 135 pounds is barred and must play in the school league.
Elijah’s size hasn’t prevented him from playing football until now. And he and his mother said he’s not ready to go up against kids with years of playing behind them.
Elijah’s mother, Cindy Earnheart, also plans to protest with painted signs and shirts that say, “Let Elijah Play.”
“For him to come home and just cry and go to his room and say, ‘I give up.’ I’m not going to let him give up. This is his dream. This is what he wants to do. And I’m going to make it happen,” she said.
Odds that Nick Saban knew about this story before we did: Even. Odds that Mike Leach has a recruiting letter in his shirt pocket addressed to Earnheart at this moment: 2-1.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: National anthems gone wrong
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Pujols losing battle with Father Time?
- Play Video: Sagan wins Stage 8 of Tour of California