Aug 13, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
Why did Matthew Riese decide to build a hovercraft that looks like Marty McFly’s DeLorean from Back to the Future? Not even he is quite sure. But there he was on Friday night in McCovey Cove just outside of AT&T Park in San Francisco, putting the creation through its paces. If the Giants could indeed go back in time, I’d suggest visiting 1965 and picking up an in-his-prime Willie Mays. But this DeLorean, while cool, only has a top speed of 48. No matter — Riese got on TV, and that’s something.
Riese, a 26-year-old grad student from San Francisco, raised the $5,500 to build the hovercraft through Kickstarter; a process he almost had to abandon midway through due to lack of funds. Here’s a video explaining the process.
From Riese’s web site:
“The craft is able to hover on anything flat (asphalt, sand, water, etc), but it will be mostly driven on the San Francisco Bay. The hovercraft is registered with the DMV in California as a boat (it is not street legal). The top speed should be around 45 mph, which is pretty impressive for a vehicle with no brakes (it’s not touching the ground, remember!).
“Why did I build it? The funny thing is I’m not really sure. The only thing I know is that I think I wanted to create something epic.”
ABOUT LAST NIGHT
Big Head Squirrel Feeder: great invention, or greatest invention ever? …
- Sign at Jets practice: “Tim, you put the stud in Bible study.”
- In which Wilt Chamberlain appears on the 1980s game show Hot Potato.
- Believe it or not, this awesome Chad Johnson t-shirt was created before his recent domestic troubles.
Meanwhile, at the PGA Championship …
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found