Aug 10, 2012, 9:28 AM EDT
Check out this photo (linked) of King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden, sitting with his wife, Queen Silvia, enjoying an Olympic men’s team handball match between his fiefdom and Denmark and generally looking like some ghastly combination of a J. Crew Seniors catalog and that creepy villain from Ghostbusters 2.
“Hey Denmark! Something is rotten in your state alright, and it is your handball squad! Ya, that’s right!! You all look like a bunch of Dumskalles! And your pastries are terrible!!!”
I’m not sure if he’s rooting on his subjects or preparing to devour my everlasting soul.
Now, a couple things to note here…
Sweden has a King?? I consider myself pretty well-versed in world affairs and I had no idea. Does he have the finest Ikea furniture in all the land? Who’s in his Royal Court, ABBA? And if I told him that The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is vastly overrated, would I be sent to the gallows or just forced to watch it again? (Please, please let it be the gallows.)
Also, look at the variety of facial expressions going on in that photo! The Queen looks like she just caught a whiff of something ripe, the poor woman in front is doing her best “hear no evil” impression (or maybe just hear no Swedish guttural war cries), and King Gustaf appears to be preparing to disengage his mandible in order to swallow an alligator whole. Somebody give that photographer a bonus, or better yet, the Pulitzer.
Sweden won the match 24-22, clinching the last spot in the quarterfinals, just as King Gustaf clinched a starring role in my nightmares for weeks to come. Snazzy shirts, though.
Never sit in front of the king of Sweden at a handball match [Fourth-Place Medal]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Highlights: Burkman shocks Fitch
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Gronk has successful surgery
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'