Aug 10, 2012, 1:39 PM EST
Following their 2-1 win over Japan in the gold medal match, the U.S. women left the field and returned wearing these Nike t-shirts, which read ‘Greatness Has Been Found’. Tacky? Unsportsmanlike? Many in press row said yes, that Team USA should have received the virtual yellow card for excessive celebration.
Or, should the detractors get a green card for excessive envy? You be the judge.
Canadian soccer writer Jarrad Peters was particularly unamused.
Well, I doubt that’s entirely true; and Canada’s disdain is understandable, considering the controversial nature of its loss to the U.S. Still, Peters is not alone in his assessment. Seems that Usain Bolt isn’t the only Olympian taking heat for celebration antics.
And if you think the shirts caused controversy, wait until other countries see this: some U.S. players were photographed after the game waving Terrible Towels and holding beers.
And for only $29.95, you can find greatness, too!
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found