Aug 9, 2012, 7:27 PM EDT
So the premise is this: You take all the medals from the 2012 London Olympics so far, and award them according to where those countries were in empires of bygone eras. For instance, Australia, Canada, India, England, etc., would be part of the British Empire, circa the turn of the 20th century. So, which of history’s greatest empires would be leading the 2012 medal count?
Before reading the answer, I guessed the Roman Empire, which is way wrong. The Romans of Augustus Caesar, etc., only come in fifth. The previously mentioned British Empire (circa 1910) is at No. 2. The winner? Genghis Khan, take a bow.
The Mongol Empire, circa 1280 AD, would rule the Olympics if they still owned all their land today. According to a site called Pingflx.com, the Mongols would have collected 218 medals — 81 gold, 63 silver, 74 bronze — if countries such as China, Russia and Kazakhstan were still a part of their empire.
The site claims to be current through tonight’s results — although I crunched the Mongol numbers and got 229 medals. Anyway, the British Empire was second with 140 medals; today’s Eurozone was third with 136; and fourth was … yes you guessed it, Napoleonic France (circa 1810), with 129. Or, 128 if Napoleon insisted on being on the judo team.
I suppose that if actual Genghis Kahn-era Mongols participated, about the only event they would win is archery. And of course they’d kill everyone involved in dressage.
Interestingly, the United States of today would be right up there, with 90 medals. If the old Soviet Union were still around, they’d be beating us with 105. And the good ole’ Spanish Empire, circa 1580 AD, would have 84 — including 24 golds, all stolen from Mexico and Peru.
Empires not listed, but it would be interesting to see the medal count: Germany (circa 1944); Alexander the Great’s Macedonia; Westeros; Middle Earth.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful