Aug 7, 2012, 9:38 AM EDT
So Usain Bolt had just won the 100 meters semifinal, and was giving what must have been one of dozens of interviews near the track — this one with a Spanish TV reporter. But as he was being interviewed, American Sanya Richards-Ross was on the podium to receive her gold medal in the 400-meter dash. Hearing the U.S. National Anthem begin to blare over the sound system, Bolt halted the interview to stand in silence in honor of the anthem.
Townhall.com’s Kate Hicks:
“As much as I love watching the USA take the gold in as many events as possible, that is what the Olympics are all about: sportsmanship and respect.”
Bolt, by the way, found a way to honor the Swedish women’s handball team as well after he won the 100 meters.
ABOUT LAST NIGHT
What you missed while microwaving your socks …
- Surgeon who drowned while saving two boys from drowning will be buried holding a White Sox baseball.
- Michael Phelps’ girlfriend has a nickname for him.
I think I’m gonna be sickhow sweet.
- High school golf coach arrested for brandishing his niblick.
Meanwhile, in Los Angeles …
Yes, baseball needs instant replay. But it needs Vin Scully even more.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness