Aug 6, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
Nick Newell was born with congenital amputation — a condition in which one of his arms was not fully developed, and ends just past the elbow. So naturally he grew up to be an MMA fighter. And he’s a good one, apparently. Newell improved to 8-0 om Friday night after a first-round victory over David Mays at XFC 19 in Charlotte, North Carolina.
Newell is a former high school wrestler from Massachusetts who has his eye on a UFC career (XFC is the sport’s minor league).
His KO on Friday came on a pretty devastating knee to the head.
“You notorious, you crazy one-armed bastard!”
Newell, via Bloody Elbow:
“A lot of people said I couldn’t strike,” Newell said after the fight. “Guess what? Welcome, here’s Nick Newell, the striker, for you guys.”
Somewhat surprisingly, UFC president Dana White was unfamiliar with Newell when asked about him on Saturday.
ABOUT LAST NIGHT
What you missed while conducting a funeral for your car …
- Because Dong Dong — or, as he is known in China, where the surname comes first, “Dong Dong” — competes in the trampoline, which a lot of people didn’t even realize was an Olympic sport.
- Canadian soccer coach calls out U.S. team for “highly illegal” tactics.
- Charlie Sheen pledges $50,000 to the Cincinnati Reds Community Fund, so that Reds broadcaster Marty Brennaman will shave his head.
Meanwhile, at the Hall of Fame Game …
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Play Video: Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes, Orb finishes fourth
- Play Video: Traditions of the Preakness Stakes
- Play Video: Gary Stevens wins third Preakness
- Play Video: Flores falls off Yougotthatgoinforu
- Play Video: Konig takes Stage 7, van Garderen retains overall lead
- Play Video: Carpenter wins Indy 500 pole