The End Is Near: Stockton Ports’ Presidential Seat Cushion Giveaway allows fans to vote with their butts
Jul 27, 2012, 1:17 PM EDT
Sick of Presidential politics? Wish you could just smother all the blabber? Too bad you weren’t in Stockton last month, when the Ports (Singe-A California League) had their Presidential Seat Cushion Giveaway promotion. The premise was simple: fans entering the park were given seat cushions with President Obama’s picture on one side, and Mitt Romney’s on the other. Then, people could register their displeasure with a chosen candidate by literally sitting on his face during the game.
Ports director of promotions Jeremy Neisser says that the Ports are “like Switzerland when it comes to this promo. We’re splitting everything right down the middle.” Nonetheless, he’s aware that there are and always will be a subset of fans who believe that politics are anathema to baseball.
“This is all in good fun — we’re not trying to shove politics down anyone’s throat,” he said. “It’s just us acknowledging that there’s a campaign going on now.”
Yeah, I’d say this is about as far from the throat as you can get. Anyway, if you attended this game and still have your seat cushion, you could probably make a fortune selling it on British eBay.
All hail Benjamin Hill.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found