Jul 24, 2012, 12:54 PM EDT
Kyle Lograsso is only 10 years old, but he set a couple of pretty big goals for himself recently. Lograsso, who lost his left eye to cancer at age 2, decided that he would play 100 holes of golf in one day to raise $50,000 to fight Retinoblastoma, the rare cancer to which he lost his eye. But Kyle didn’t hit those goals. Nope … he exceeded them.
Lograsso played 109 holes — 56 of them barefoot — and raised $65,000 at The Legends Golf Club in Temecula, Calif., on Friday in his Fight Fore Sight 100, to raise awareness to combat Retinoblastoma.
And with a late donation of $10,000 by PGA Tour player J.B. Holmes, Lograsso’s actual total was $75,000. From the (Riverside) Press Enterprise:
“I’m tired,” Lograsso said by phone after finishing six-plus rounds and a little more than 12 hours of golf. “Going-to-bed-at-8 o’clock tired.”
This kid is a force of nature, and his attitude is infectious. Just check out his Twitter account:
That’s indeed a lot of golf. But don’t worry, Lograsso did use a cart. Except for one hole.
“I walked the last hole, I walked it for the fight against Retinoblastoma and all the kids going through it,” said Kyle, a fifth grader at Temecula Prep.
“I accomplished a pretty big goal. One hundred and nine holes is a lot.
“It felt good — once I finished the hole. Now, no golf for another week or two. I’ve had enough.”
Kyle has been cancer free since 2005, or as he puts it: “I kicked cancer’s butt.” To learn more about his cause visit the Lograsso family’s foundation, Through Kyle’s Eyes.
Fun fact: Kyle plays golf left-handed, but throws a baseball right-handed. Here he is throwing out the first pitch at a Lake Elsinore Storm game.
Hope you get that phone, Kyle. But if you do, look out for those water hazards.
Photo courtesy of Kyle Lograsso.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona