Jul 20, 2012, 10:03 AM EDT
The Joe Paterno statue is no more. RIP, Joe Paterno statue. According to a tweet by Kim Jones of NFL.com, the Penn State board of trustees have voted to remove the controversial bronze likeness that has been in front of Beaver Stadium since 2001. The demolition will occur this weekend. This of course will cause no controversy whatsoever.
ESPN sports host Bonnie Bernstein has also tweeted that the statue is coming down.
Students have been camping near the statue since Wednesday night to protect it from vandalism. On Tuesday a plane flew over the Penn State campus with a banner reading ‘Take down the Paterno statue or we will.’
So parents, if you want a picture of your kids posing next to the statue — or kids photographing their parents, whatever — better get cracking.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery