Jul 19, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
The irony here I guess is that kids are now protecting Joe Paterno, when the actual Joe Paterno did not protect kids. After a plane flew over the Penn State campus earlier this week with a banner that read ‘Take down the Paterno statue or we will’, a handful of students have gathered in front of Beaver stadium to begin a vigil to protect it. Seniors Mike Elliot and Kevin Berkon organized a gathering at the statue, and reportedly said that they’re there to protect it from vandalism, and will not try to defend it if the university decides to remove it.
That decision, say university officials, could come within a week.
Berkon also conveniently told any potential vandals what hours that the students would be there: 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Tough times for the Paterno statue: columnists are howling for its removal, people are vowing to destroy it, and parents insist on posing their young boys next to it for photos (see above). This last thing could cause an irony vortex that could suck in all matter and result in devastation for miles around.
ABOUT LAST NIGHT
Headline of the Day: Police nail screw thief.
- President Obama gave the U.S. men’s basketball team a pep talk before they went to London.
- Big Ten may be considering throwing Penn State out of the conference.
- Just your normal, everyday 129-yard missed field goal return for a touchdown.
- Joe Paterno kicked out of Paradise by cartoonist.
Meanwhile, at USA basketball practice …
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found