Most expensive can of Pepsi ever? Ronaldinho’s Coca-Cola sponsorship canceled after he sips rival beverage on camera
Jul 11, 2012, 10:02 AM EDT
A can of Pepsi? That will be $1.55 million, please. (May need to use take-a-penny tray). Of course this price is for Ronaldinho only, as the buck-toothed soccer star recently made perhaps one of the most expensive gaffes in pro sports history. While speaking at a press conference for his new team, Atletico Mineiro, the Brazilian star sipped a can of Pepsi that was on the table … and that was a deal-breaker for Coca-Cola, to which he is tied with a £500,000-a-year sponsorship deal. Unpaid earnings on the contract, which was to run through 2014? About £1 million, or $1.556 million.
Here’s a photo of Ronaldinho with the offending beverage.
And in the photo you see to the right, a can of Pepsi can be seen in the bottom left-hand corner. Apparently Ronaldinho didn’t drink that one. Pepsi is one of Atletico Mineiro’s sponsors.
Ronaldinho recently moved to a new club, Atletico Mineiro, and Coke bosses claim that they had already been growing weary of the star’s antics.
“The fact that the player has appeared with a can of Pepsi was the straw that broke the camel’s back,” Coca Cola marketing chief Marcelo Pontes told the paper. “The sponsorship had become embarrassing.”
How many have to die before we stop these senseless Cola Wars? How many?!
Ronaldinho sips Pepsi, loses Coca-Cola deal [USA Today]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found