Jul 10, 2012, 10:11 AM EDT
The only surprise here is that no one has thought of this before. The Vikings Rugby Club filed a formal protest with the Illawarra District Rugby Union recently, claiming that a player for rival Avondale suspiciously relieved himself in his own shorts just before their game. This was done, they said, to ward off would-be tacklers.
The IDRU is investigating. (Photo here is unrelated to the player or match referenced in this story, except that I thought a yellow card would be appropriate).
My favorite graph from the story in the Daily Telegraph:
The letter was accompanied by a photograph — subsequently leaked to The Daily Telegraph — which purports to show an incriminating stain on the player’s shorts.
Because how else would you release a photo like this?
“It is either evidence that the player has urinated in his shorts immediately prior to the commencement of the game, or has applied some liquid to that area of his shorts so as to provide the same inference,” Vikings president Mark McDonald wrote.
“Either way, such conduct is contrary to the spirit of the game and in contravention of items 8 and 9 of the IDRU Code of Conduct.”
I think it’s awesome that there is not one, but two specific items in the league’s code to address this situation. No wonder I love rugby.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris