Jul 6, 2012, 12:07 PM EDT
It was a heck of a pitching performance by Adam Sosnowski on Saturday: a two-hit shutout with 10 strikeouts, as Dickson City Post 665 beat Moscow Post 579 in Pennsylvania American Legion baseball. Only one problem: the game never happened. This is a new kind of fantasy baseball, wherein the coach calls the newspaper with details and statistics of a game that was never actually played.
An American Legion district baseball president and team manager was suspended after he gave the Scranton Times-Tribune the box score of a game that was never played because one team didn’t have enough players. Using information it received from Jeff Kovaleski, the Times-Tribune reported in Sunday’s papers that Dickson City beat Moscow 1-0 and that pitcher Adam Sosnowski only allowed two hits.
And yes, Kovaleski is also the president of the league.
Kovaleski says he gave the bogus results to the newspaper because he wanted to spare Moscow players the embarrassment of taking a forfeit. “I didn’t intend to hurt anybody, the newspaper or the league,” he tells the Scranton paper. “Being the president of the league, I did not want to embarrass anyone or hurt any kid’s feelings. I am very remorseful about doing it.”
But then perhaps Kovaleski can explain why he gave no hits to two of his players: first baseball Ed Bocan and shortstop James Malone. Both were 0-for-3 at the plate in the fake stats that their own coach gave the newspaper. “Coach, oh-for-three? Why? I’ve been doing so well in imaginary batting practice!” Meanwhile, center fielder Justin King was 2-for-3 with the game’s only fake RBI. Pretty good considering he was at Arby’s at the time.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: National anthems gone wrong
- Play Video: Sagan wins Stage 8 of Tour of California
- Play Video: Pujols losing battle with Father Time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3