Jul 2, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
In this week’s episode of Anger Management, French track star Mahiedine Mekhissi-Benabbad is at it again. The Algerian native had just won the 3000 meter steeplechase at The European Athletic Championships in Helsinki, when a mascot approached to hand him a small award. Mekhissi-Benabbad reacted as you or I would: he slapped the gift from the mascot’s hand and shoved him backwards.
Oh, but actually it wasn’t a “he.” The person inside the mascot costume turned out to be be a 14-year-old girl.
The girl was believed to have been slightly winded by the unexpected attack but otherwise unharmed. Yet championship organisers were livid, according to Karjalainen news.
Championship director Mika Muukka told the news agency that “hopefully, the EAA (European Athletics Association) would deal with the case”.
Mekhissi-Benabbad seems to get slappy every year around this time. After winning the same race at the 2010 championships in Barcelona, he asked a mascot to kneel in front of him before pushing it to the ground. And in July of 2011, he actually got into a brawl with teammate Mehdi Baala at the finish line of the 1500 meters at the Monaco Diamond League games.
ABOUT LAST NIGHT
What you missed while checking out the new strip club on Sesame Street …
- So how do pole vaulters get those 17-foot poles from one meet to another?
- Erin Andrews bringing her talents to Fox Sports.
- Josh Hamilton photo bomb includes bat-through-the-head man.
Meanwhile, at the X Games …
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead