Jun 27, 2012, 8:09 PM EDT
No matter how many books and columns John Rocker writes between now the end of days, he will never pen anything as noteworthy as the 1999 Sports Illustrated article about him by Jeff Pearlman that made him a household name. The words you’re riding through Beirut next to some kid with purple hair next to some queer with AIDS is now as notorious any entry in Bartlet’s Quotations.
Hmm. He should have heeded another famous quote: “I don’t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member.” — Groucho Marx.
As a writer, John Rocker is a great relief pitcher. That is to say he’s horrid. His debut column for the conservative site WND Diversions would have been sent back for a total overhaul by any middle school English teacher in the country, but not here. Also on the page containing Rocker’s first column was the ad: Astonishing Red Sea Crossing Video, $495 today only! Robotic submarine cameras reveal ‘hundreds of Egyptian chariots strewn across the sea floor’ and this headline: Fed-up Christians go to war against Green Giant frozen vegetables.
Rocker’s column, on the Roger Clemens trial, was not a column as much as a tortuous, extended analogy that only gets to the point in the final paragraph. Kind of like life, when you think about it.
But why should I bet the only one to suffer? Read it for yourself.
I’m not criticizing the content of the column — there barely is any. I’m objecting to the way it’s written. If you read it and seriously disagree, please set me straight.
I hate to do this after minutes of faithful readership, WND Diversions, but … unsubscribed.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte