Jun 19, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
One day, all sporting events will be held on the decks of aircraft carriers. But the let the record show that the first floating home run derby was staged by the South Atlantic League during their All-Star festivities. Yep, the first round of the SAL All-Star Game Home Run Derby was held on the deck the U.S.S. Yorktown on Monday, which is docked in Charleston Harbor. The Charleston RiverDogs played host to the event.
Balls were hit off the deck and into the harbor, where they were retrieved by people with nets on jet skis. More photos, video here.
But guess which Major League franchise was a party pooper?
Hagerstown third baseman Matt Skole, Lexington third baseman Matt Duffy, Asheville first baseman Harold Riggins and Savannah center fielder Travis Taijeron advanced to the championship round of the event, which will take place Tuesday at 5:30 p.m. at Riley Park. The SAL All-Star Game will follow at 7:30 p.m.
Charleston RiverDogs outfielder Tyler Austin, who is tied with Skole for the SAL home run lead at the All-Star break with 14, did not take part in the event because the New York Yankees did not give him permission to compete.
ABOUT LAST NIGHT
What you missed when you were brazenly attacked with sausages …
- Bryce Harper’s brother, Bryan, reveals the origin of the term “clown question.”
- Floyd Mayweather (in jail) and Manny Pacquiao (who just lost) both pass Tiger Woods as world’s highest-paid athlete.
- It’s official: Mike Tyson on Broadway. “Mike Tyson: Undisputed Truth,” to the Longacre Theatre for six nights only, July 31 to Aug. 5.
Meanwhile, in Fight Church …
The first rule about Fight Church is that you never talk about Fight Church.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found