Jun 15, 2012, 4:14 PM EDT
So if I have this correct, New York and Washington D.C. have had gay sports bars for years, but San Francisco doesn’t have one? Well call me Judy Garland. That all changes soon, as Hi Tops, “a dedicated sports bar in the vein of Gym in New York or Nellie’s in D.C., with a comfortable vibe,” will be opening in October in the Castro. It takes the place vacated by Lime at 2247 Market Street, between Noe and Sanchez, and the owners say it’s going to be their “dream bar.”
They hope to bring more of the local LGBT community back to the neighborhood on weekends, when many of the bars have become over-crowded with tourists and less comfortable for those who live nearby.
“It’s going to be for everyone,” said co-owner Jesse Woodward. “You don’t have to be someone who wants to watch sports on TV to want to hang out there.” The concept is pretty simple: A neighborhood bar where you can watch the Giants game, eat some all-American bar food (with S.F. twists), and enjoy one of the best on-tap beer selections in the Castro. And they’re hoping to be open in time for the World Series this fall.
Not to be confused with Hi-Tops, a sports bar in Chicago.
If this catches on, your sports bar could suddenly declare itself gay. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Sagan wins Stage 8 of Tour of California
- Play Video: National anthems gone wrong
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Pujols losing battle with Father Time?