Jun 13, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
Too bad — I was planning on walking up to Rafael Nadal repeatedly and asking him “Do you have the time?” Just to see the sad expression when he looks at his wrist. But Paris police now say they’ve recovered the tennis star’s missing timepiece — it was reported stolen from his hotel room while he was playing (and winning) the French Open.
Police say they’ve found the 300,000 euro ($376,000) watch stolen from the Paris hotel room of Rafael Nadal, and that a barman has been arrested in connection with the theft.
Luxury watchmaker Richard Mille had lent the Spanish tennis champion the watch. It vanished sometime late Monday to early Tuesday.
A police source – speaking on condition of anonymity, citing policy – said Wednesday that the pricey timepiece was found Tuesday night along a railway track in the southern Paris suburb of Evry.
Nice work, Det. Poirot! (And yes, I know he’s Belgian).
But why was the watch found along a railway track? And how did that lead to the suspect, a 39-year-old barman who worked at the luxury hotel. What is a barman, anyway? Who leaves a $376,000 watch in their hotel room? (That’s what hotel safes are for). Who found the watch? Are there such things as watch-sniffing dogs? For $376,000, a watch had better not just show me the time — it should also predict the future and get HBO. I am reconsidering plans to loan Nadal my stamp collection.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million