Jun 6, 2012, 6:45 PM EST
Japanese athlete Maya Nakanishi isn’t short in the courage department. She lost her right leg in a workplace accident when she was 21 (she was hit by a steel beam), but has come back to become one of the world’s top Paralympic sprinters. Nakanishi, the Asian record holder in the T44 (one leg amputated below the knee) 200 meter and long jump, competed at the 2008 Paralympics in Beijing, and wants to compete in London this year, but funding her training has been tough.
“I don’t regret having become nude. I’m very happy that I was able to show Maya Nakanishi as I am.”
In a statement, Nakanishi said she was unable to compete in the 2011 world championships due to a lack of financial resources, despite being a Japanese medal chance, and the calendar is an attempt to tackle that problem.
Here’s her Facebook page.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found