May 31, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
No, it wasn’t “Swapportunity.” But Lori Anne Madison drew an even tougher word in the third round of the Scripps National Spelling Bee on Wednesday in Washington D.C. Come on, Scripps … “ingluvies”? She’s only six!
Or, as Kyle would say: “They killed Kenny! You bastards!”
Lori Anne, as we reported earlier this week, is a precocious young girl who started reading at the age of 2 and was in her first spelling bee at the age of 3. Wednesday at the National Bee, she successfully spelled the first word she was given — dirigible. But in the next round, she began ingluvies with an “e” instead of an “i.” That was enough to knock her out of the competition.
It’s clear that the Lake Ridge, Va., girl, whom we told you about on Wednesday, will be a force to be reckoned with at Scripps for years to come. But herein we see the flaw in the spelling bee format. As it is now, it’s all the luck of the draw — one person gets “ingluvies”, the next gets “apple.” To be fair, the contestants should each have to spell the same word in every round — out of earshot of each other, of course.
You’re welcome. I’m just here to help.
Stunner: 5-time Spelling Bee repeater Rahul Malayappan is knocked out of the Spelling Bee.
ABOUT LAST NIGHT
Headline of the day: Scarf-wearing pig spotted by Pittsburgh motorists …
- Texas Rangers fan needs an abacus for 21-8 game.
- New Italian premier thinks country should suspend all soccer matches for two years due to match fixing scandal.
- The first Vegas Super Bowl odds are in. Colts are only 100-1!
Meanwhile, in Tampa Bay …
Not the kind of pants party we were hoping for.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- PBT: LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games