May 30, 2012, 1:25 PM EDT
It was the last game of the regular season for Western Christian School (Upland, Calif.), and pitcher Ryan Olson was having what one might call a dominating performance. Not only was he working on a perfect game, but he had struck out all 20 batters he faced. But with two out in the seventh (high school games go seven innings), Olson was denied a shot at strikeout No. 21 — or a Double Secret Perfect Game, as Dean Wormer might call it. Los Angeles Times:
The junior pitcher struck out 20 batters in 6 2/3 innings against Calvary Murrieta on Thursday. He was pulled with one batter to go so a senior could play on senior day. Western Christian won, 6-0.
Olson sounds like a nice kid, and was probably happy to give way to his senior teammate in the final game of the season. But if I’m that senior, I have to say that I might decline to go in. How often does someone get a chance for a Double Secret Perfect Game? If it’s senior day, maybe they should have started that guy in the first place instead of giving him just a token appearance.
Olson has committed to the University of San Diego.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Will bobsled for food
- Play Video: Highlights: Burkman shocks Fitch
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Does 'Hard Knocks' make sense for Bengals?