May 22, 2012, 5:55 PM EDT
It happened in Florida, believe it or not — where one might expect Tebowing would be decriminalized by now. Not so at Bishop Verot High School in Fort Myers, however. That’s where senior Chuck Shriner — on a $5 dare from a friend — crouched into the Tebowing position on stage during the school’s graduation ceremony on Saturday. His reward? The $5, plus no diploma. The school’s principal said he wouldn’t be getting one because of the stunt. Plus, he had to clean out the gym following the ceremony.
Harsh. WWTS (what would Tebow say)?
Turns out, though, that Shriner will be getting his diploma. The punishment was all his mom’s idea: she’s a math teacher at the school, and was a bit miffed at his Tebowing shenanigans.
Rather than Shriner getting his diploma on Saturday, his mother picked it up. When Shriner was told he wouldn’t get his diploma, he said it was “to teach him a lesson.”
“We were told not to mess around during it,” he said.
When Shriner cleaned the gym on Monday and spoke to his mom after school, she told him everything.
“She was really mad,” Shriner said. “But I think it was worth it.”
Let’s translate. Mom was embarrassed because she’s a teacher at the school, and was shown up in front of her friends and colleagues. The over-reaction was hers. Tebowing, when you get down to it, is just taking a knee and praying to God. What’s so disruptive about that — especially at a Catholic school?
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Play Video: Sagan wins Stage 8 of Tour of California
- Play Video: Craig Adams lays out Spezza in OT
- Play Video: Highlights: Senators win double overtime thriller
- Play Video: Boychuk gives Bruins lead in Game 2
- Play Video: Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes, Orb finishes fourth
- Play Video: Marchand strikes again