May 17, 2012, 12:02 PM EDT
The Spurs’ Matt Bonner has a solution to “Hairgate.” That’s what he’s calling the situation at Woodland Lake Middle School in San Antonio, where student Patrick Gonzalez is in hot water for having a portrait of Bonner shaved into the back of his head. Gonzalez received an in-school suspension for the totally awesome haircut because, say school officials, he didn’t get permission beforehand, and it was “a distraction.”
When Bonner found out about the controversy earlier today, he offered a solution:
“Couldn’t you just move him to the back of the class?” said the red-headed 3-point shot ace. “Then nobody would see it; it wouldn’t be a distraction. Otherwise, the nicest thing a fan has ever done for me is ruined.”
Gonzalez said he’s bummed about the whole thing, but plans to shave off the portrait to avoid further trouble.
“My 1st period teacher called the principal. She told her it was a distraction,” said Gonzalez. His mom was surprised because she says she asked first. “I didn’t want any kind of problems with any of the principals. I know there are rules and regulations anywhere else you go,” she said.
“I’m not going to condemn the school,” he said. “If anyone is in support of education and academics, it’s myself, my Mom being a teacher, and my own academic success. Like I said, they could have just moved him to the back of the class.”
Bonner’s mother, Paula, retired three years ago after teaching elementary school in New Hampshire for 35 years.
“She isn’t enjoying retirement,” Bonner said, “so she got recertified and is going to go back into teaching.”
IMO the lad’s haircut represents creativity, loyalty, fine artistry, courage and intelligence. And of course those things must never be allowed to flourish in a children’s academic setting.
Video still: KABB-TV.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- PFT: Woodson returns to Raiders for up to $4.3M