May 14, 2012, 11:09 AM EDT
At first glance this appears to be totally random: why is Will Smith presenting Roger Federer with a suit from Men in Black for winning the Madrid Open on Sunday? Is it a new trend? Will the French Open winner get Thor’s hammer? No, it’s just a movie studio doing what movie studios do: hype their films by whatever means possible.
There were two big events in Madrid on Sunday: the finals of the Madrid Open (Federer beat Tomas Berdych), and the Men in Black III premiere at La Caja Magica. So Smith hopped over to the Open and presented Federer with the duds for a nice publicity photo op. Which means Federer is all set to go back to 1969 and play Rod Laver for the Wimbledon title. And also for funerals.
Or would be, if Smith hadn’t then hit him with the flashy thing and took the suit back.
Also, Smith is a lot tinier than he looks in films:
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Play Video: Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes, Orb finishes fourth
- Play Video: I'll Have Another wins the Preakness
- Play Video: Gary Stevens wins third Preakness
- Play Video: Shackleford holds off Animal Kingdom
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Carpenter wins Indy 500 pole