May 14, 2012, 4:18 PM EDT
We were one of the first blogs to write about Ted Williams, the golden-voiced radio announcer who fell on hard times, was resurrected via a viral YouTube video, then embarked on as series of very public personal relapses and triumphs. We’re happy to say that Williams reports that he’s been clean and sober for a year now, a fact he shared during a recent appearance on The Today Show.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Williams is a former successful disc jockey whose life spiraled into crime, addiction and homelessness. He was spotted panhandling on a freeway offramp in Columbus, Ohio, by a Columbus Dispatch videographer, and a YouTube video featuring his voice went viral. It led to announcing job offers from, among others, the Cleveland Cavaliers and Kraft Foods.
But Williams continued to battle his addictions, and says he didn’t really get a handle on things until about one year ago. He now has a book out, which chronicles his journey.
The book does not hold back on the details, host Matt Lauer pointed out, referring to one section in which Williams remembers how he prostituted his girlfriend for drug money.
But also at that time, Williams was determined to better himself and said he felt as if God was watching over him.
He said he would hear God’s voice telling him how to be a better person.
“One day at a time, I must tell you,” he said.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found