Catholic high school in Arizona forfeits baseball championship game rather than play against a team with a girl on it
May 10, 2012, 1:29 PM EDT
Our Lady of Sorrows is a fundamentalist Catholic School in Phoenix, Ariz., which adheres strictly to God’s word. And so, when OLS made it to the state baseball championship game against Mesa Prep, they immediately chose to forfeit. That’s because Mesa Prep has a female player (gasp!) — second baseman Paige Sultzbach.
Ned Flanders: “It’s right there in the Bible, people! Thou shalt not mingle with the girl who got that single.”
Mesa had beaten OLS twice during the regular season in games that Sultzbach sat out in respect of the other team’s religious objections. But when the state championship rolled around, Mesa Prep was no longer willing to turn the other cheek.
Our Lady of Sorrows school officials would not comment, but Sultzbach’s mother, Pamela Sultzbach, said her daughter and the rest of the team received the news after Wednesday afternoon’s practice.
“This is not a contact sport, it shouldn’t be an issue,” Pamela said. “It wasn’t that they were afraid they were going to hurt or injure her, it’s that (they believe) that a girl’s place is not on a field.”
Paige played softball and volleyball in junior high, but because Mesa Prep does not have a girls softball team, she decided to try out for the boys baseball team, with the coach’s encouragement.
But wait a minute, hold on. Take a look at this inspiration Jesus statue from Catholic Supply, Inc. Look at the catcher’s hair — that’s clearly a girl.
Our Lady of Sorrows is run by the U.S. branch of the Society of Saint Pius X, a group of conservative, traditionalist priests who disagree with the reforms of the Vatican II Council in the 1960s and broke with the Catholic Church in the 1980s.
“I respect their views, but it’s a bit out of the 18th century,” said Mesa Prep athletic director Amy Arnold, who is the only woman now coaching a boys high-school football team in Arizona.
Calls to OLS officials by the Arizona Republic were not returned.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires