May 9, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
No matter how many times I see one of these soldier-returning-to-kids-at-baseball-game videos, it never gets old. Jackson Aguirre, 6, and his 5-year-old sister, Alanna, thought they were just at the Arizona Diamondbacks game to throw out the ceremonial first pitch on Monday. But when the catcher took off his mask, it turned out to be their dad — Lt. Col. Paul Aguirre had returned after a year in Afghanistan with the Air National Guard.
He told his children he would be home later this week. Instead, he flew three days straight to get to the Valley in time to surprise them at the Diamondbacks game.
As Jackson and Alanna watched a videotaped message from their father on the JumboTron, Aguirre crouched behind home plate. After the pitches, he tore off his mask. The crowd cheered as his stunned children paused for a second and then ran toward him.
“I had no idea what they were going to do,” Aguirre said, “But I wasn’t nervous because whatever it was would be OK.”
ABOUT LAST NIGHT
What you missed during your birthday party …
- San Antonio Missions’ outfielder Cody Decker catches fly ball and tosses it into stands … but since there were only two outs, all three baserunners score.
- Ex-college coach says it’s time to end high school sports.
- Cyclists can now buy a horn that is louder than the Concorde.
Meanwhile, in San Diego …
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Watch Live: Red Wings at Blackhawks
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- LIVE: Third round of the HP Byron Nelson Championship
- LIVE: Day 1 of Indy 500 Qualifying
- LIVE: Action from Hangtown Motocross Classic
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators