Bob Arum ups the ante, goes full Hitler: ‘Mayweather is from the school of propaganda that Joseph Goebbels adopted’
May 9, 2012, 12:20 PM EDT
Alternate headline: Inglorious Basterds.
It was only a matter of time before one side or the other broke out a Hitler reference in this Manny Pacquiao, Floyd Mayweather war of words. If you bet that it would be Pacquiao promoter Bob Arum, please collect your winnings. And you get extra if you bet the Daily Double — that Arum would invoke both Hitler and Joseph Goebbels. Here’s the excerpt, heard during Arum’s interview on ESPN 1100 in Las Vegas:
“What do you mean take the test? For two years Pacquiao has said that he will take any drug test whoever administers it so why is that still being talked about by Mayweather? You see Mayweather is from the school of propaganda that Joseph Goebbels, who was (Adolf) Hitler’s publicist, adopted. The more you say things over and over again the more people believe them. The fact is clear that Pacquiao has agreed to unlimited drug testing so that is not an issue.”
And Arum also has an interesting take on Mayweather’s contention that he deserves more than 50 percent of the pay-per-view proceeds, because he sells more tickets:
“He says I don’t want to do a 50/50 split anymore and we say ‘okay if you think you’re so good then we will do 45/45 and 10 to the winner.’ If he wanted to do it less than 45/45 and the balance to the winner we’d be happy to do that also. Then he says well ‘he’s now entitled to more because I do better pay-per-view numbers than Pacquiao.’ The answer is no you don’t. No you don’t. We will match pay-per-view numbers over the last couple of years. Secondly when you look at the gate, our tickets are sold and Pacquiao brings in gamblers from all over the world. Mayweathers’ tickets sell for a discount on the face value and they clog up the streets. You know that.”
I’ve said before that this fight will likely never happen, and that’s probably a good thing — the idea of a Mayweather-Pacquiao fight is probably more intriguing than the genuine article. Both are on the downward sides of their prime, or will be by the time any meeting could be set up.
Only one person could broker a deal between the two, in my opinion. Your move, Bieber.
Bob Arum: ‘Mayweather is from the school of propaganda that Joseph Goebbels, who was Hitler’s publicist, adopted’ [Sports Radio Interviews]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Rask gives up gift goal
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Highlights: Rangers stay alive with OT win
- Play Video: Toews sees the box three times
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks
- Play Video: Father of the year catches foul ball