May 9, 2012, 10:52 AM EDT
When Teresa Bloodman’s freshman son was cut from the Maumelle High School basketball team recently, she did what any parent would do — she sued the school district and the state, claiming that her son has been deprived of the right “to a full and complete education.” Somebody’s got the full DVD box set of Law and Order, I see.
The lawsuit, filed in October of 2011 (no trial date so far), contends in part:
“…the deprivation of the right to a full and complete education which includes competition in sports and consequently athletic scholarships impairs John Doe of a property right guaranteed under both the U.S. and State Constitutions.”
Bloodman also points out her boy was dismissed when an additional tryout was held after football season, to let those players have a chance to make the basketball team. Bloodman says that’s a violation of equal protection rights, because it’s not the way the girl’s team is selected.
She also labels the lack of an appeal process for getting cut as a due process violation.
While I don’t think her case has any merit, she is right about one thing: choosing the team the way they did is a complete jerk move. According to Arkansas Matters, the coach picked 11 players, practiced with them for two months, and then held another tryout when players from the football team became available. Subsequently, nine of the original 11 were dropped from the team and replaced with football guys.
So the coach was just keeping 11 so he’d have enough bodies to practice and hold scrimmages, knowing he’d be cutting most of them eventually. That’s so wrong I don’t even know where to begin. The school should change its name to Buffalo Springs so it could put the letters BS on the gym.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Play Video: Sagan wins Stage 8 of Tour of California
- Play Video: Craig Adams lays out Spezza in OT
- Play Video: National anthems gone wrong
- Play Video: Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes, Orb finishes fourth
- Play Video: Highlights: Senators win double overtime thriller
- Play Video: Boychuk gives Bruins lead in Game 2