May 8, 2012, 10:03 AM EST
I’ve seen four headlines today describing Sharon Simmons as a “granny,” and while technically she is a grandmother, it hardly seems appropriate. Simmons tried out for the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders over the weekend, and by all appearances she looks good enough to make the squad — although it should be noted that I retired from cheerleading judging in the late 1990s. (I was unjustly accused to stealing sequins).
Simmons, along with hundreds of other hopefuls, auditioned for the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders on Saturday at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
“I thought about this when I was about 22 years old,” Simmons told The Dallas Morning News. “I was a single mom, and I wanted to do it.”
But funds, experience and raising her children delayed that dream for the next 33 years.
Simmons told the Morning News that she forgot her routine during the freestyle portion of the competition and had to make it up as she went, but it didn’t derail her experience.
The commercial realtor competed in her first fitness competition at the age of 50. She has won nine of the 20 competitions she has entered and has turned that success into a career of fitness modeling.
Grandma auditions for Cowboys cheerleaders [Dallas Morning News]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found