May 7, 2012, 5:46 PM EST
Oh you don’t know how long I’ve waited for the old bucket-of-confetti trick to be pulled on someone in a state legislative session. Fred Smith, who formerly played for the Harlem Globetrotters, will get another chance to serve in the Arkansas state House of Representatives after all. The Green Party picked him as its candidate for the House District 50 seat, after the Democrats booted him out of the state HOR in 2010.
“Since I got into it and I’ve been cleared, what’s wrong with getting a second chance?” Smith asked.
He was elected to the Arkansas House in 2010 on a Democratic ticket but resigned last year after he was found guilty of felony theft of property delivered by mistake
Smith just needs to beat Democrat Rep. Hudson Hallum in the general election — no Republicans are running. Hallum had replaced Smith in 2011 in a special election to fill his seat.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found