May 7, 2012, 12:41 PM EDT
What do you do when you don’t have a sponsor for the Aaron 499 Sprint Cup Series race at Talledega Superspeedway? You paint your car to resemble Ricky Bobby’s ride in the movie Talledega Nights, of course. That’s Kurt Busch in the photo there standing beside his No. 51 Phoenix Construction Services Chevrolet, and yes, that’s the mountain lion from Talledega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby, and Will Ferrell’s ME jumpsuit.
It was actually Busch’s smokin’ hot girlfriend, Patricia Driscoll, whose idea it was to go with the Ricky Bobby paint scheme. She’s the president and executive director of the Armed Forces Foundation, and thought it would be a good way to promote the organization.
“Why leave the car blank when we could do something to promote the foundation?” she said Friday. “So a few months ago, we started talking about this and I decided we were going to do this and I would convince (team owner James) Finch and everybody else they would follow.”
Sony pictures at first declined a request to use the images from their movie, but Driscoll pulled some strings and the studio finally agreed. They also had to get permission from Ferrell. In all it took about five months to get everything in order.
“Everybody has memorized lines (from the movie),” she said. “It’s probably the one time that Kurt actually will want you to listen to his radio.”
Busch said that on the radio, he will be Ricky Bobby, crew chief Nick Harrison will be Lucius Washington (the crew chief from the film) and his Patricia will be Carley (the smokin’ hot wife from the film).
“Hopefully we are going to keep all my clothes on,” Busch said. “If we wreck, hopefully I don’t catch on fire. Shake and bake.”
Busch finished 20th on Sunday — with Brad Keselowski winning the race. Michael McDowell, who finished 43rd and last, was forced to say “I like crepes.”
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: National anthems gone wrong
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Pujols losing battle with Father Time?
- Play Video: Sagan wins Stage 8 of Tour of California