May 7, 2012, 2:24 PM EDT
Who among us hasn’t wanted to feel what it’s like to race around a NASCAR track by doing laps on a horse track in a pickup truck in the middle of the night? Let him cast the first stone.
Security guards at the Zia Park Casino called police after 1 a.m. on Friday to report a man was racing his pickup truck around their horse race track. Soon a police car gave chase on the track, but the man wouldn’t stop — so they had to set up a barrier to end his joy ride.
Police spent nearly 10 minutes talking McDonald out of his truck. Officers on scene said he was too drunk to perform a field sobriety test so they just loaded him in a patrol car.
McDonald then passed out in the back and he was taken to the hospital.
“If he passed out in the back of officer’s vehicle, he could have passed out while he was driving down the road,” said Stone. “We’re just glad that he didn’t make it out onto the highway.”
McDonald is facing several charges including DWI, resisting an officer, concealing identity, criminal trespass and criminal damage to property.
The casino estimates the damage McDonald caused to be nearly $40,000. That includes a broken gate and barrier, a timing cable and damage to the clay surface of the racetrack.
A few hours later at Churchill Downs, a horse named I’ll Have Another won the Kentucky Derby. Well played, Mayans.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes, Orb finishes fourth
- Play Video: I'll Have Another wins the Preakness
- Play Video: Gary Stevens wins third Preakness
- Play Video: Shackleford holds off Animal Kingdom
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Carpenter wins Indy 500 pole