May 7, 2012, 3:22 PM EDT
My question isn’t so much why Blackburn Rovers fans released a chicken onto the field today. More intriguing is how someone smuggled a live chicken into a major soccer stadium.
“Excuse me sir, your jacket seems to be clucking.” (Passes over man with security wand). “Carry on.”
(Next fan has hedgehog in pants).
Two hours later: “Hey, where’s the chicken?”
As I understand it, the Rovers are going to be relegated (banished to the Mountain West, or whatever is below Premier League) if they don’t win tonight against Wigan. So home fans thought it would be fun to dress a rooster in a Blackburn scarf and set him loose on the field. That’s a not-subtle protest of the club’s decision in 2010 to chop off the head of former boss Sam Allardyce and replace him with Steve Kean. Venky’s, which owns the club, is an Indian chicken farming company.
It’s actually a good idea — I believe that all sports stadiums should be self-sustaining. I know that if they didn’t switch end zones every quarter, the Jets could graze cattle on the opposition’s side of the field.
In light of all this, the following commercial is rather disturbing:
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Sagan wins Stage 8 of Tour of California
- Play Video: National anthems gone wrong
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Pujols losing battle with Father Time?